Darklands League

A place to talk about Darklands Events!
Brightblade

Darklands League

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:38 am

Would there be any interest from players to start up a Darklands League?

I've not thought about any of the mechanics or logistics of this yet, but I certainly wouldn't intend for players to travel up and down the country to play games, was more thinking about declaring that a game is a League game and then collecting scores, points etc... And having poeple play so many league games...etc...

What's your initial thoughts?
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Jonathon Chester

Re: Darklands League

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:43 am

yeah why not!
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:17 am

Obviously the League Games would need to be declared against other League members, with 3 points for a win, and 1 point for a Draw, a Draw defined by Butchers Bill of both players within 100 Gold of each other.

Players would declare the Win/Loss and Butchers Bill, Points awarded and Gold Tallied up, at the end of the season the Player with most points is declared the League Champion, in case of tied points, Gold Cost is the decider..
Last edited by Brightblade on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 am

League games could include games at other Events, such as Coffa Tree, Darkland Open Days, Gotham and Samaria, even Salute on the Demo Table and of course at your own clubs or when you travel to other Clubs, the only stipulation at all the aforementioned is that your opponent is also a League Player..

I was thinking we could run the League from September to May, and the amount of games each person has to play is governed by number of players in the League x 2 minus yourself of course, so 10 League Players = 18 games...etc

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 am

Definitely.

Happy to throw in sponsorship and whatever else...

I think you may have to keep it at 1,500 gold games to be honest - not demo games.

Cheers
Rob
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:41 am

Potentially. I'd want to know more details, though. For example, using your suggested 18 games as a basis - would 18 games against the same person count? I'm thinking I could get in several games against Chris; you, Andy and Dale could play eachother frequently, etc. It means, though, that if a club has a mismatched pair then an individual would rack up a lot more wins as much by virtue of their opponent being rubbish as by them being good (and I say that placing myself firmly in the rubbish category).
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:48 am

Good point Lee.

Maybe a maximum of 5 against the same opponent?

Cheers
Rob
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:51 am

cornishlee wrote:Potentially. I'd want to know more details, though. For example, using your suggested 18 games as a basis - would 18 games against the same person count? I'm thinking I could get in several games against Chris; you, Andy and Dale could play eachother frequently, etc. It means, though, that if a club has a mismatched pair then an individual would rack up a lot more wins as much by virtue of their opponent being rubbish as by them being good (and I say that placing myself firmly in the rubbish category).

The intention certainly wouldnt be for players to travel up and down the country to play games, the logistics would'nt stack up and the League would die before it even started.

20 games against the same opponent, I would like to think that your opponent would at least learn from defeats and win at least a few of those games...

Look at me, I'd only been gaming for 18 months, and considered myself not that great, but came third at Coffa Tree, it's about development...

We could limit pehaps no more than 3/4 of all games played can be against the same opponent, but again it's about player availability, if youve only got two players in an area you are limited to who you can play, would of course encourage you to get other players on board, everybody likes to think they could possibly win something by playing a few games...

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:53 am

Brightblade wrote:
cornishlee wrote:Potentially. I'd want to know more details, though. For example, using your suggested 18 games as a basis - would 18 games against the same person count? I'm thinking I could get in several games against Chris; you, Andy and Dale could play eachother frequently, etc. It means, though, that if a club has a mismatched pair then an individual would rack up a lot more wins as much by virtue of their opponent being rubbish as by them being good (and I say that placing myself firmly in the rubbish category).

The intention certainly wouldnt be for players to travel up and down the country to play games, the logistics would'nt stack up and the League would die before it even started.

20 games against the same opponent, I would like to think that your opponent would at least learn from defeats and win at least a few of those games...

Look at me, I'd only been gaming for 18 months, and considered myself not that great, but came third at Coffa Tree, it's about development...

We could limit pehaps no more than 3/4 of all games played can be against the same opponent, but again it's about player availability, if youve only got two players in an area you are limited to who you can play, would of course encourage you to get other players on board, everybody likes to think they could possibly win something by playing a few games...

Or as Rob has said, limit it to 5 games, but I think this needs to be determined once we have confirmed League Players and have a better understanding on Player Locations and Logistics..

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 am

I'd be moe than happy to do all the Administration around the League..

Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm

You could do the games by X amount per month /months, like a game a week or two a month, just as an example though, it could easily be more.

And I assume its all in good fun, so if you miss some out or stuff comes up, that's just how it goes sometimes.

Or maybe base scores on some kind of percentage. I know from experience it can be very difficult to keep a continuous league going; everyone has their own lives to attend to, so a caveat of what kind of tone we're going for is always good.

I really like the idea though.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Grizzle wrote:You could do the games by X amount per month /months, like a game a week or two a month, just as an example though, it could easily be more.

And I assume its all in good fun, so if you miss some out or stuff comes up, that's just how it goes sometimes.

Or maybe base scores on some kind of percentage. I know from experience it can be very difficult to keep a continuous league going; everyone has their own lives to attend to, so a caveat of what kind of tone we're going for is always good.

I really like the idea though.

It would be deadly serious, if you miss a game you get trampled by the Meat Hulk... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:06 pm

I'll work out the logistics and rules around it all once we have confirmed that we are going to do it, think we need at least 10 League Members to get something viable going..

We've got 6 player interests at the minute; lets see if we can get 4 more and then we can start to review the viability of the League and Rules around it..

6 Interested Parties so far;

Rob Lane
Jon Chester
Brightblade (Scott)
Grizzle (Andy)
Cornishlee (Lee)
Ronnie

If you've got players at your Clubs that are not members of the Mierce Forum then tell them about the League and let me know of their interest.
Last edited by Brightblade on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:08 am

How about instead of saying you must play X amount of games within a X amount of time. Why not play whatever league games you can (obviously against other league players) but at the end of the league only your top 5 -10 scoring games count towards the league table?
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 am

Ronnie wrote:How about instead of saying you must play X amount of games within a X amount of time. Why not play whatever league games you can (obviously against other league players) but at the end of the league only your top 5 -10 scoring games count towards the league table?

That could be another way of doing it yes, but then you'd only ever submit the games that you did well in, not the games you did badly in, If only my beloved 'West Ham' could only count the games they won towards the Premiership, mind you that would be about 2 games a year...lol

Ronnie,

I'll count you in as interested in the League as you've taken the time to respond to the thread...

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:10 am

But if you're playing another league member and loose , that other player will be sending in the game result. so that loss would be recorded.

Oh and yes im interested in joining.... Although my first game will probably be next week, so fingers crossed.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:30 am

Ronnie wrote:But if you're playing another league member and loose , that other player will be sending in the game result. so that loss would be recorded.

Oh and yes im interested in joining.... Although my first game will probably be next week, so fingers crossed.

Yes, that's very true...

Hope your first game goes well, what Kindred are you playing and against?

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:37 am

Ooooh I'll be playing Atalantes, going up against the Erainn.

Looking forward to it, its been months in the making this.... only 500 gold muster, but have to start somewhere. :0)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:03 am

Good luck Ronnie...! Who's your opponent?

Cheers
Rob
Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 am

Going up against a friend of mine. first game for him too. So we are expecting a long gaming sesh while we learn the rules.
His name is Paul i believe he's on the Forum too.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 am

Well if you have any questions, please ask!

Cheers
Rob
Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:26 am

Rob Lane wrote:Well if you have any questions, please ask!

Cheers
Rob

Thanks Rob,

Although you could end up regretting opening that door. :lol:
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:42 am

Ronnie,

Are you heading to the Oktoberfest at Gotham and Samaria in October? If you are we can catch up there, if the leagues up and running by then we can have our first League game.. ;)

I should be attending and will be hosting a Darklands Demo table bringing all my five Kindreds for people to look at and play with across the weekend.

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:52 am

I was thinking of getting a ticket to that if there were any left next month.

But if not, Element Games is my local so i may just pop in to say hello.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Ronnie wrote:I was thinking of getting a ticket to that if there were any left next month.

But if not, Element Games is my local so i may just pop in to say hello.

Ronnie,

Did we meet up at the weekend at Element games, at the Octoberfest event, remember talking to somebody for a while who was watching me demo and they said they were local but didn't get a name?

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Yes we met :0)

I was playing Andy with my Atalantes.
Really enjoyed it, Will have to get more painted now though so i can have a proper sized game.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Ronnie wrote:Yes we met :0)

I was playing Andy with my Atalantes.
Really enjoyed it, Will have to get more painted now though so i can have a proper sized game.

Cool, glad you enjoyed it, hopefully you and your playing partner can make the Darklands weekend event in February..

Ronnie

Postby Ronnie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Fingers crossed.

Return to “Darklands Events”