Seen states of nobles in units vs being targeted for shots

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Crazyguy501

Seen states of nobles in units vs being targeted for shots

Postby Crazyguy501 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:20 pm

Hi there Rob just a question in regarding targeting nobles in a unit with ranger attacks.

In this particular scenario it involves the shoot and drag action being involved, though it could be applicable to other ranged actions

So the scenario is the shooting unit. Walvax unit with Walvax unit, have a target they can see. Which is a unit of 4 Gorgorar, with a Gorgor and a Gorgonarch.

So to my understanding the Walvax being mass 4 can draw line of sight to the Gorgor and Gorgonarch who are also mass 4, as the intervening warriors (the Gorgorar) are only mass 3. However as per the shoot action rules (although it is a shoot and drag action being made), I believe I can only target the Gorgorar, as their combined mass outweighs the mass individual mass of the two different nobles in the unit?

I’d normally understand if the nobles in the unit were equal or smaller mass of the joined unit. As that would mean being seen by a shooting unit of equal mass is more of struggle for line of sight. I think I just find it odd that I could draw line of sight to something in a unit, but not shoot it? But I understand nobles in units do need protection from being picked out. Hope this makes sense

Many thanks

Jim
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Seen states of nobles in units vs being targeted for shots

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:29 am

Crazyguy501 wrote:Hi there Rob just a question in regarding targeting nobles in a unit with ranger attacks.

In this particular scenario it involves the shoot and drag action being involved, though it could be applicable to other ranged actions

So the scenario is the shooting unit. Walvax unit with Walvax unit, have a target they can see. Which is a unit of 4 Gorgorar, with a Gorgor and a Gorgonarch.

So to my understanding the Walvax being mass 4 can draw line of sight to the Gorgor and Gorgonarch who are also mass 4, as the intervening warriors (the Gorgorar) are only mass 3.

Correct.

Crazyguy501 wrote:However as per the shoot action rules (although it is a shoot and drag action being made), I believe I can only target the Gorgorar, as their combined mass outweighs the mass individual mass of the two different nobles in the unit?

Yes, that's right.

Crazyguy501 wrote:I’d normally understand if the nobles in the unit were equal or smaller mass of the joined unit. As that would mean being seen by a shooting unit of equal mass is more of struggle for line of sight. I think I just find it odd that I could draw line of sight to something in a unit, but not shoot it? But I understand nobles in units do need protection from being picked out. Hope this makes sense

Many thanks

Jim

p250 is your friend, it explains it properly; basically, shoot at the easier SKILL, always (unless you have distinct shot). Don't forget that if you can see the gorgor / gorgonarch and you get fated shots, you can put those fated shots on them (p252, wendlist also); and if you get enough shots, you apply shot dice to the gorgor / gorgonarch when all the gorgoar have shot dice equal to their mass.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”