Questions about norse - new kindred, same numpty

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

Questions about norse - new kindred, same numpty

Postby HughB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:28 pm

First question: battle blinder

the gythja appears to have her own version of this spell that is significantly different in its effect and also in its cost to that mentioned in the norse spell list. Is this intended or is this an error? The spell sheet records this as making a unit unsighted 1" (I presume this means that the effected unit cannot see further than 1" from itself but can attack things that contact engage them without negative effect - other than being confused, the other spell effect?) but the spell of the same name in the gythja's entry says the effected unit is unsighted no range mentioned. So this spell appears to make a unit completely unsighted and so they will become easy strikes in combat and when they attack, anything they attack will be a difficult strike for them (and they're confused as above).

The cost of the spell on the spell sheet varies depending on the size of the unit that it's being cast at. The spell mentioned in the gythja's entry just says the cost is 7+. Thats a big difference.

Is the gythja just really good at this particular spell or is this an error?

Second question:

As I read it, units that are able to soar can start the unit as circling if you give them flank orders. So presumably this means that, as with other flankers, you can't have more than a third of your force circling when you begin the game? If you have a command that is all able to soar (say a hrafnmann jarl, a unit of hrafnmenn and unit of hrafn and a valhrafn) but the total command costs more than a third of your gold you would therefore have to divide the command between units that start the game circling and units that don't. Can you have a situation where the commander of a command is circling and therefore not on the field but units within its command are on the field or would the circling commander need to be on the field and other units within the command are circling?

Third question:

Slowed circlers/slowed divers

So a circling unit dives and slashes another unit. If that unit hold and shoots as a reaction to being dive slashed and crits enough venom attacks to cause one of the diving unit to be venom effected, does the crippled warrior who is then half skill and slowed, suffer any ill effects other than being easier to hit? Basically I''m asking does a slowed diver/circler drop out of the sky/is it forced to land because it's slowed?

Fourth question:

A circling unit dive lands onto another unit and beats them in combat. The defeated unit fails their fortitude check and the dive landing unit opts to chase them and in doing so chases the unit off a board edge. Can the victorious unit become a circling unit at the start of the next hour or do they have to fly/walk back onto the board at the start of the next hour then soar in the following hour?

So:
- can they automatically become circlers having chased a unit off the board and so be in a position to dive on another unit in the following battle hour,
- do they have to declare that they have soared at the start of the next battle as their method of returning to the board (and so be able to dive on another unit two battle hours after they chased a unit off the board)
- or do they have to return to the boarad with a move or fly move at the start of the next battle hour and then soar at the start of the following battle hour (so it would then be three battle hours from chasing a unit off the board until they could dive again)

Thanks

Hugh
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Questions about norse - new kindred, same numpty

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 am

HughB wrote:First question: battle blinder

the gythja appears to have her own version of this spell that is significantly different in its effect and also in its cost to that mentioned in the norse spell list. Is this intended or is this an error? The spell sheet records this as making a unit unsighted 1" (I presume this means that the effected unit cannot see further than 1" from itself but can attack things that contact engage them without negative effect - other than being confused, the other spell effect?) but the spell of the same name in the gythja's entry says the effected unit is unsighted no range mentioned. So this spell appears to make a unit completely unsighted and so they will become easy strikes in combat and when they attack, anything they attack will be a difficult strike for them (and they're confused as above).

The cost of the spell on the spell sheet varies depending on the size of the unit that it's being cast at. The spell mentioned in the gythja's entry just says the cost is 7+. Thats a big difference.

Is the gythja just really good at this particular spell or is this an error?

That's intended, she's not called Battle-Blinder for nothing. However, I may need to update it to follow new lines of thinking regarding transient etc.

HughB wrote:Second question:

As I read it, units that are able to soar can start the unit as circling if you give them flank orders. So presumably this means that, as with other flankers, you can't have more than a third of your force circling when you begin the game?

Well, off the battlefield, but yes.

HughB wrote:If you have a command that is all able to soar (say a hrafnmann jarl, a unit of hrafnmenn and unit of hrafn and a valhrafn) but the total command costs more than a third of your gold you would therefore have to divide the command between units that start the game circling and units that don't.

Correct.

HughB wrote:Can you have a situation where the commander of a command is circling and therefore not on the field but units within its command are on the field or would the circling commander need to be on the field and other units within the command are circling?

Yes, they can - see p95.

HughB wrote:Third question:

Slowed circlers/slowed divers

So a circling unit dives and slashes another unit. If that unit hold and shoots as a reaction to being dive slashed and crits enough venom attacks to cause one of the diving unit to be venom effected, does the crippled warrior who is then half skill and slowed, suffer any ill effects other than being easier to hit? Basically I''m asking does a slowed diver/circler drop out of the sky/is it forced to land because it's slowed?

Not because it's slowed, no. Only death or unconsciousness does that.

HughB wrote:Fourth question:

A circling unit dive lands onto another unit and beats them in combat. The defeated unit fails their fortitude check and the dive landing unit opts to chase them and in doing so chases the unit off a board edge. Can the victorious unit become a circling unit at the start of the next hour or do they have to fly/walk back onto the board at the start of the next hour then soar in the following hour?

Because you've Dive Landed you're on the ground and so are still on the ground when you Chase them. Therefore, you start your next activation on the ground. However, if the rulebook doesn't already state this (not entirely sure it doesn't) a Flying unit that can Soar and that is off the battlefield can choose not to enter the battlefield and instead Soar. So you'll lose an hour when you Soar, but then you're Circling for the next hour.

HughB wrote:So:
- can they automatically become circlers having chased a unit off the board and so be in a position to dive on another unit in the following battle hour,

No.

HughB wrote:- do they have to declare that they have soared at the start of the next battle hour as their method of returning to the board (and so be able to dive on another unit two battle hours after they chased a unit off the board)

Yes.

HughB wrote:- or do they have to return to the boarad with a move or fly move at the start of the next battle hour and then soar at the start of the following battle hour (so it would then be three battle hours from chasing a unit off the board until they could dive again)

They can choose to do that if they want of course.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Dim question but flyers are allowed to use their flight value rather than their ground move to chase right? And are obliged to flee their flight move if they dive land and then flub their attacks and valour check.

I think they have to use their FLIGHT MOVE - not sure they can choose here. Check it, it'll be in Chase somewhere!

Cheers
Rob

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:16 am

I think I edited your post rather than quoted it Hugh... apologies...

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Text violation?

The brutality of the man!?!

That's reminded me of something I needed to ask.

When a model, who is in base to base contact with other models, uses a grab soar weapon and successfully grab soars, can the unit they were attacking reflex attack them? I'm assuming they can as its a special case version of models moving through/out of the attack range of other models. Secondary question is therefore, how many/who gets reflex attacks? All of the models that are of the same skill value as the model that was grabbed by the soarer (similar to when a model dive grabs) or just the ones within ?

Shoot reacting against circlers (a unit of circlers) who are dive landing/dive slashing. when the weapon being used is a thrown template weapon (one with a crush/splash template). How does that work then? Do you use the template at all? If so, how?

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 pm

HughB wrote:Text violation?

The brutality of the man!?!

That's reminded me of something I needed to ask.

When a model, who is in base to base contact with other models, uses a grab soar weapon and successfully grab soars, can the unit they were attacking reflex attack them? I'm assuming they can as its a special case version of models moving through/out of the attack range of other models.

Yes.

HughB wrote:Secondary question is therefore, how many/who gets reflex attacks? All of the models that are of the same skill value as the model that was grabbed by the soarer (similar to when a model dive grabs) or just the ones within ?

Whoever could Attack the Grab Soar wielding dude beforehand.

HughB wrote:Shoot reacting against circlers (a unit of circlers) who are dive landing/dive slashing. when the weapon being used is a thrown template weapon (one with a crush/splash template). How does that work then? Do you use the template at all? If so, how?

I think I've covered Thrown weapons against fliers - have a look... if not, I'll think!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”