Ysian Battle Host

For discussion of Ysian hosts and their strategies and tactics
Phil Winstanley

Ysian Battle Host

Postby Phil Winstanley » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:17 am

Made an attempt on a list using models I own.
Gotta say, I have struggled a bit to get what I wanted as far as theme goes as I fancied a lion tamer list with two Mantichores and a Chimaera but with the requirement of three mainstays I couldn't find room to squeeze in the Chimaera :(

Still, I'd be happy to play this list assuming its correct, magic would need to be tested a lot though!

War Drune - Uncommon - 149
- 15x Ax Drunes - Mainstay - 255
- Goad Drune - Uncommon - 22
- Mantichora (Bound) - 247

Battle Drune (An Kern Drune Banner Bearer) Common - 87
- 15x Ax Drunes - Mainstay - 255
- Goad Drune - Uncommon - 22
- Mantichora (Bound) - 247

Death Brute (Heavy Armour) - Uncommon - 150
- 3x Brutes - Mainstay - 174

Seer Drune - Uncommon - 53
- Wrath of Kerunnnos - 28
- Bursting Flesh - 14
- Blind - 5
- 8x Bow Drunes - Common - 96

Seer Drune - Uncommon - 53
- Rampaging Fury - 31
- Bursting Flesh - 14
- Blind - 5
- 8x Bow Drunes - Common - 96

Idea is to have brutes in the centre with big blocks of Ax Drunes and Mantichore on either side with Seer Drunes and their small host of bows playing the supporting role.
Alex (ÉgB)

Re: Ysian Battle Host

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:00 am

I like the theme Phil - can't see a way of fitting in the Chimaera without dropping the Drune blocks down so they just qualify as mainstay and wiping out your support contingent (near enough, think you could fit a seer in)
Érainn go Brách!

Blog: Alex Does Hobby Stuff
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 am

Stung by your comment about Mainstays restricting your choice, what about this Phil...

Battle-Drune - 70g - C
10x Ax-Drunes - 170g - M
1x Goad-Drune - 22g - U - Mantichora - 247

Battle-Drune - 70g - C
10x Ax-Drunes - 170g - M

Death-Brute - 150g - U
3x Brutes - 174g - M

Seer-Drune - 53g - U
1x Goad-Drune - 22g - U - Chimaera - 519g

1,936g

Giving you a few gold for invocations. You could probably swap the Chimera into the general's command to remove a Goad-Drune, saving another 22g for something else.

Cheers
Rob
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Stung by your comment about Mainstays restricting your choice, what about this Phil...

Battle-Drune - 70g - C
10x Ax-Drunes - 170g - M

Battle-Drune - 70g - C
10x Ax-Drunes - 170g - M

Death-Brute - 150g - U
3x Brutes - 174g - M

Seer-Drune - 53g - U
1x Goad-Drune - 22g - U - Chimaera - 519g

1,936g

Giving you a few gold for invocations. You could probably swap the Chimera into the general's command to remove a Goad-Drune, saving another 22g for something else.

Cheers
Rob

Haha sorry that wasn't meant to be a whinge :P
I just feel a tad restricted really, as the Chimaera is 519 its going to be a tight squeeze no matter what's in the list.

I want big cool looking units/modules so 15x Ax drunes were chosen over three lots of 10 (cheapest way to get mainstay)

Also, I went for a general as a War Drune because the Death Brute has 1pt of Authority over the Battle Drunes and that would make him the general (wouldn't it?)
I guess if the above is legal then two Battle Drunes as general and commander means the common choices are taken much easier, which is nice as there aren't many common options assuming Ax Drunes have to be mainstay when Battle or War Drunes are mustered.

More importantly, you know Ysians well, would this play alright?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Phil Winstanley wrote:Haha sorry that wasn't meant to be a whinge :P

Yea... I'll believe you ;)

Phil Winstanley wrote:I just feel a tad restricted really, as the Chimaera is 519 its going to be a tight squeeze no matter what's in the list.

Of course, it should be a squeeze - these changes should make you think ;o)

Phil Winstanley wrote:I want big cool looking units/modules so 15x Ax drunes were chosen over three lots of 10 (cheapest way to get mainstay)

Ahem... three lots of 10 would be exactly the same gold... and you'd have more command as its free... surely?

Phil Winstanley wrote:Also, I went for a general as a War Drune because the Death Brute has 1pt of Authority over the Battle Drunes and that would make him the general (wouldn't it?)

Yes it would, and that's an error on my part - the Death-Brute shouldn't be the general, I'll have to put some rules in there. I could have sworn I'd dealt with that previously... dammit. I'll sort it, anyway.

Phil Winstanley wrote:I guess if the above is legal then two Battle Drunes as general and commander means the common choices are taken much easier, which is nice as there aren't many common options assuming Ax Drunes have to be mainstay when Battle or War Drunes are mustered.

Absolutely, that's a cracking list. Love it. I need to fix the Death-Brute/Death-Abhorrent issue, once that's done you're away.

Cheers
Rob
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Of course, it should be a squeeze - these changes should make you think ;o)

Of course, and they do, I do see the game creeping higher into the gold values though so we can get more bigger models in, after all, we paid for them and want to use them :P

Rob Lane wrote:
Phil Winstanley wrote:I want big cool looking units/modules so 15x Ax drunes were chosen over three lots of 10 (cheapest way to get mainstay)

Rob Lane wrote:Ahem... three lots of 10 would be exactly the same gold... and you'd have more command as its free... surely?

Think you misunderstood me there, two units of 15 *looks* better than three units of 10, which would have been cheaper mainstay ubiquity met than using the brutes to fulfill a slot. I may write another one now actually...

Rob Lane wrote:
Phil Winstanley wrote:Also, I went for a general as a War Drune because the Death Brute has 1pt of Authority over the Battle Drunes and that would make him the general (wouldn't it?)

Yes it would, and that's an error on my part - the Death-Brute shouldn't be the general, I'll have to put some rules in there. I could have sworn I'd dealt with that previously... dammit. I'll sort it, anyway.

Phil Winstanley wrote:I guess if the above is legal then two Battle Drunes as general and commander means the common choices are taken much easier, which is nice as there aren't many common options assuming Ax Drunes have to be mainstay when Battle or War Drunes are mustered.

Absolutely, that's a cracking list. Love it. I need to fix the Death-Brute/Death-Abhorrent issue, once that's done you're away.

Ah well some good will come of this then if I'm finding errors like that :)
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Lion Tamer Host!

Battle Drune - Uncommon - 70
-> 10x Ax Drunes - Mainstay - 170
-> Goad Drune - Uncommon - 22
-> Chimaera - Bound - 519

Battle Drune - Common - 70
-> Mantichora - Bound - 247

Battle Drune - Common - 70
-> Mantichora - Bound - 247

That comes to 1799 and I like it, even if it's a bit bland it plays well to my mind of symmetry with the generals group down the centre being flanked by the two Battle Drunes and meets minimum ubiquity neatly.
This would then leave 201 gold do buy probably a Seer Drune and some magic for extra activations.
Last edited by Phil Winstanley on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Two Mantichora and a Chimaera, bland?

I'd love to know your definition of exciting...

Cheers
Rob
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm guessing all wizards and monsters, no troops. Something really balanced!
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Ha! I mean it reads bland as three units of 10 :P
and three goad drunes and three beasts blah blah. It almost certainly wont be on the table :)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 am

Phil,

Battle-Drunes are common by the way.

For that 200 gold I'd go for two Seer-Drunes with Blind/Wrath of Kernunnos/Blades of the Horned God/Blood Sacrifice between them, and m, which comes to 53+53+5+28+23+20 = 182 gold. Maybe add another invocation as well to bring it up to 201!

Cheers
Rob
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 am

@Rob - Yeah cheers thats a copy and paste thing I forgot to correct.

That'll do cheers!

Will learn that and go from there :)

Return to “Ysians”